Contact, how to arrive:
Address: Várpalota, Gagarin utca 3.
GPS: 47.191137, 18.132992
E-mail: bfnp at bfnp dot hu
Letter: Balaton Uplands National Park Directorate, 8229 Csopak, Pf. 4.
Now it is closed. The date of the reopening will be published on this page.
|On weekdays (from Monday to Friday):||3 p.m. – 6 p.m.|
|On Saturdays and Sundays:||9 a.m. – 6 p.m.|
(You can only buy tickets online in advance on our website.)
|Child under 3 years:||free|
|Child (3–14 years):||300 HUF|
|Child (15–18 years):||400 HUF|
|Students of Várpalota (min. 20 people):||200 HUF|
The admission fee includes VAT and the fee of accident insurance of visitors.
The admission fee must be paid also if guidance is not needed for any reasons (e.g. field trip of a geology department of a higher education institute).
Please provide the following data for the booking:
- name and postal address of the person who orders the visit;
- billing name and address (if it differs from the name and postal address, and tax number if the client is not a private person);
- planned date of the required visit (date and starting time);
- number of people of the visiting group, age composition;
- name and cell phone number of the person representing the group;
- would you like to receive the original invoice and the confirmation letter of the visit by post?
Payment of the entrance fee:
Between 1. November and 6. March: At site, in cash, against receipt or invoice
Between 7. March and 31. October: The invoice and the confirmation of the visit will be sent by e-mail (and also by post, if required). The invoice has to be settlet by bank transfer or by payment at the post office.
Disused Sand Quarry - Várpalota:
The one time sand quarry is located in one of the streets of this little town, Várpalota. Groups can participate in a visit of the nature conservation area, guided by an expert guide. Visitors can closely observe the spectacular cross-laminated sand wall of the interpretation site.
The sand wall preserved the fossils of bivalves and snails of an ancient subtropical sea that used to ripple at the site where the sand layers were developed. It is unique in Hungary that the remains of more than 400 species of molluscs and almost 100 unicellular species with shells made up of calcium carbonate have been discovered at this sand quarry.
Take a closer look and you will see tiny miracles! Discover the fossilized creatures of an ancient subtropical sandy beach!
Discover the fossilized creatures of an ancient subtropical sandy beach!
- the interpretive site can be visited only by prior arrangement, with a professional guide;
- the guided visit is guaranteed by the National Park Directorate only if the arrangement of the visit is done 6 days before the visit until 10 am, at latest. If the visit is required later or on the day of the visit, the guided visit may be provided only on grounds of equity;
- at least 5 persons together can book for a guided visit (or less than 5 persons if required, but in these cases the entrance fee of 5 persons need to be paid);
- the entrance fee must be paid also if guidance is not needed for any reasons (e.g. field trip of a geology department of a higher education institute);
Dogs only on a lead please!
The area of the Bakony–Balaton Geopark includes this exhibition site and its surroundings as well.